Officine Panerai has released a selection of watches, known for having one of the distinctive elements of their watches, and which is an interglacial part of the DNA of the brand; “Power Reserve”.
The story dates back to World War II, when the company created a watch for the military, using a movement with a power reserve of 8 days. The Swiss Angelus Company supplied the movement. The purpose of the extended power reserve was to improve the practicality of use, making it possible to plan missions with high accuracy while no longer requiring the underwater commandos to rewind the watch by hand every day. It also resulted in a consequent reduction in the wear of the winding parts.
The P.2003 was the first automatic movement entirely designed, patented and created by Panerai with an unusually long power reserve of 10 days or 240 hours.
Panerai has two models using this calibre. The Luminor 1950 10 Days GMT Automatic Acciaio with a 44mm polished steel case, and the Luminor 1950 10 Days GMT Automatic Ceramica with a 44mm black ceramic case. Both feature a black dial.
The predecessor to the P.2003 is the P.2002. This in-house patented design is a hand-wound calibre with a power reserve of 8 days. It consists of 247 components including 21 jewels and a thickness of 6.6 millimetres. Panerai has created two new models based on this calibre. One is the Luminor 1950 8 Days GMT Acciaio with a 44mm brushed steel case and a black dial with “Paris Hobnails.”. The other is the Luminor 1950 8 Days GMT Oro Rosso with a 44mm 18 ct. polished red gold case and a brown dial.
All four models feature luminous Arabic numerals and hour markers with the date at 3 o’clock, the seconds and 24-hour indicator at 9 o’clock, and the linear power reserve indicator at 6 o’clock.